Palace refuses to comment on Marcos family’s unpaid P203-B property taxes

FILE. Former first lady Imelda Marcos (R) with children Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and Imee Marcos, singing the Philippine national anthem before the flag-draped casket bearing the remains of the late strongman Ferdinand Marcos during arrival ceremonies at Laoag Airport in the Philippines. September 7, 1993. Roméo Gacad, Agence France-Presse

MANILA – Malacañang on Tuesday declined to answer questions from the media about the Marcos family’s 203 billion pesos outstanding debt, saying it “borders on politics”.

The matter was best brought to the palace’s economic arm, the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) or even by attorney for Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos, Jr., said the palace’s acting spokesman Martin Andanar.

“Let me put the question to the economic cluster at the Palace. Obviously, the question also touches on politics and the issues that arise. Ayaw kong mag-komento pagdating his pulitika,” Andanar said during a briefing. Press.

“Kakausapin ko muna ang economic cluster, lalung-lalo na si secretary Carlos Dominguez,” he added.

In a Kapihan sa Manila Bay forum, Marcos Jr. said there was a lot of “fake news” involved over unpaid taxes, noting that this matter should be left in court.

Last week, presidential aspirant Isko Moreno Domagoso’s camp shared with reporters a copy of a letter from BIR, which confirmed that the agency had sent the Marcos family a written request about their tax debts.

Pressed on whether the Palace would defend the government after the presidential aspirant accused them of fake news, Andanar said he would rather ask the economic cluster about the matter.

He added that how the money would be used once collected is something up to the economic cluster.

“Hindi naman po ito napag-usapan in a meeting, several parallel meetings. So I will reply to you when I have the details of what you ask kung ano rin ang positioning ating economic cluster,” he said. he says.

Camp Marcos has yet to address the issue, with Senator Imee Marcos even refusing to answer questions during an interview with reporters on the sidelines of an event.

Young Marcos, who is running for president in the 2022 elections, was also convicted in 1995 of failing to file mandatory tax returns from 1982 to 1985 when he was governor and vice-governor of Ilocos Norte.

Several presidential candidates said on Saturday that the government must collect the Marcos family’s estate tax debts.

Aksyon Demokratiko’s standard bearer, Isko Moreno Domagoso, opened the subject during the first presidential debate organized by the Electoral Commission, saying he would tackle the 203 billion in unpaid taxes of the Marcos family and use them as cash assistance for sectors affected by rising prices.

“Kung aatras ko ang buwis sa krudo at kuryente, we will lose 65 billion pesos…203 billion pesos minus 65 pesos [billion]mayroon pa akong daang-daang bilyon na maaari nating maibigay sa tao,” he said.

The Partido Reporma presidential candidate, Senator Panfilo Lacson, agreed with Domagoso, saying that the debts of the Marcos family were double the tax revenue under 2 packages of the tax reform law for the acceleration and inclusion (TRAIN).

“Alam niyo ‘yung pinasa naming several tax packages, and dami midi e. It will only reach P101,000,000,000,” Lacson said.

(We passed many tax packages. We only reached 101 billion pesos.)

“And maybe 203 billion pesos na sisingilin lamang nandiyan na, bakit ayaw singilin ng BIR (Bureau of Internal Revenue)?” he said.

(We have 203 billion pesos pending, why can’t BIR collect it?)

Vice President Leni Robredo intervened, saying the government could use the tax debt to improve aid programs for needy sectors.

“Kapag nasingil natin ito [utang]hindi natin kailangan tipirin ing ing mga kababayan,” she said.

(If we can collect this debt, we no longer need to deceive our countrymen.)

LOOK

Video of PTV

Comments are closed.