No property tax for apartments up to 500 square feet, says BMC
The country’s wealthiest civic body, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), today presented a budget of ₹45,949.21 crores for the year 2022-23, before the municipal elections. The budget forecast is 17.70% higher than last year, when the BMC presented ₹Budget of 39,038.83 crore.
The civic body announced 100% relief from paying property tax for apartments measuring up to 500 square feet of carpeted area. “About 16,14,000 citizens will benefit from 100% property tax relief. The amount of the exemption for citizens is of the order of ₹462 crores a year,” Mumbai City Commissioner Iqbal Singh Chahal said in his budget speech.
The decision will benefit owners of more than 16 lakh homes under 500 sq ft within the limits of the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
Here are the other major announcements made by BMC in the budget:
- To prevent flooding in Mumbai, portable pumps, weir protection grids, dewatering pumps, etc. are deployed. Survey and design works for the rejuvenation of the Dahisar, Poisar and Oshiwara rivers are in progress.
- Now, taxpayers can effect payment of property tax bill and water tax bill through Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS).
- Spending on health infrastructure has been increased significantly this year to ₹6933 crore.
- A plan to provide preventive and primary treatment facilities to citizens close to their residence is being drawn up, thereby reducing the patient load in main and peripheral hospitals. A total of 100 health care centers will be set up in the BMC area.
- BMC began the process of building urban space designers who would study and rework roads, pathways and community spaces to increase “ease of walking”
- BMC has decided to establish the Mumbai Parking Authority (MPA) and an appointed agency to provide an external workforce of private transport professionals, urban planners and designers, policy researchers, experts and GIS technicians for the said job.
- BMC decided to allow private and government. companies Co. to install the Public Electric Vehicle Charging Station (PEVCS) in BMC’s PPL.
- The estimated income for the financial year 2022-23 is proposed for ₹30743.61 crore which is ₹2932.04 crores more than the 2021-2022 budget forecast.
- The Goregaon – Mulund Link Road (GMLR) is the fourth major link, linking the eastern suburbs and the western suburbs, implemented in four phases.
- In a bid to provide citizens with easy access to its services, BMC has launched a Whatsapp chatbot under no. 8999-22-8999. This will facilitate easy access to about 80 BMC services.
Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint. Download our app now!!